Wednesday 1 October 2014

Dougal's Bestest Day Ever!



Hi everyone!  I thought I should tell you about my bestest day ever!


“It was a dark and stormy night…”


No, wait, that is how Snoopy started his stories.  Mine starts on a bright but cloudy mid-morning a couple of weeks ago (I can’t be specific, as I am required to play into the notion that dogs have no sense of time.  Yeah, right).  Anyway, I was napping soundly viciously guarding the house when I heard those magic words, “Do you want to go for a car ride?”  I know how much the guys like to take me for a car ride, so of course I was up for it!  For some reason only known to them, the guys folded the back seats flat, which meant that every time they turned a corner, sped up or slowed down, I slid all over the back of the car.  What jolly fun!!  Yeah, not so much actually, but the guys seemed to find it amusing.


After an inderterminate amount of time (that time thing again), we parked and what did I smell?  Was it the ocean?  Actually, it was the North Sea, which smells suspiciously like the ocean.  With me leading the way off leash, we crossed over some wonderfully boggy and soggy land, over some dunes and finally hit the beach.  And what a beach it was – almost as far as I could see!  This called for some serious exploring so, as the guys strolled along, I ran and ran and played with a Poodle and ran some more, stopping occasionally to even get my feet wet (the water didn’t come up to my willy, so that was ok with me).  Even slightly re-injuring myself couldn’t stop me (some of you may remember my shoulder injury during the great Chihuahua skirmish of 2014 in Surrey as well as the psycho-cat attack after that here in Edinburgh).


After at least an hour (or so those with time sense tell me – wink wink), the guys were tiring out, so I thought it best to get them back to the car, when suddenly I spotted someone acting suspiciously by just sitting still on the sand.  Well, we can’t have that kind of behaviour, so of course I started up a conversation.

“Hi,” I barked.  He ignored me.  “Yo, whatcha up to?” I barked again.  Still, he just sat there.  I began to get closer so that he could hear me better, and finally we had a bit of a conversation that went something like this:

I go “Hi” and then he goes “Go away” and I’m like “Dude, chill” and he’s like “I don’t like dogs” so I go “You just haven’t met me yet.  I’m loveable.  Let me come closer” and he is all like “No, go away” so I’m like “Hey, take it easy bro.  I’ll just run up to you so we can be friends.  You’ll like that, I promise.  Hey, don’t get up and shake your towel at me!”


Suddenly, the guys had hold of me and rather rudely dragged me away from what I am sure could have been the start of a beautiful friendship.  Oh well, his loss.  People!  Honestly.


Off we went in the car again, this time with the back seat put in its proper, upright position so that I could be comfortable and not have to play the fool, and ended up in the town of Dunbar where we had lunch in at a nice restaurant/hotel that allows dogs, as all right thinking restaurants/hotels should do, in my humble opinion.  After a lovely meal of whatever the guys bothered to toss my way (kudos to our server who brought me a nice bowl of water) we wandered through town and down to the harbour where we did some exploring.  My official photographer, Bob, seemed very occupied, so Dad and I wandered about and left him to his own devices.  I can tell you that not only is the harbour very interesting, but it is full of great smells to investigate.  I highly recommend it if you like to sniff.


Finally, we arrived home and for some reason, I can’t remember most of the rest of the day.  I suspect that I may have nodded off for an hour or twelve (who’s to say when you don’t grasp time, right?), but I did have some lovely dreams about what a great day I had. 

Thanks dads!!
While it may not have been sunny, we were all impressed.  Notice the people included for a sense of scale.
Looking the other way.
See, I can get in the water!
A lean, mean running machine!
Check out this beach body!!
I explored this way...
...and that way.
Big beach and bigger sky!
Where we had lunch in Dunbar.
You know it is a good place when they have your favourite tipple on tap.
I made a new friend at the restaurant (nicer than my beach "friend")
Dunbar has a 2 part harbour - very low tide in this part!
One of the many interesting boats in the harbour.







The entrance to the main harbour.  There was a castle up on the left cliff, but not much remains.
View from the harbour.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see you are having such a great time exploring! Boomer is working up to having a beach body, walking lots!

    ReplyDelete